Friday, January 7, 2011

Cafe World Challenge Week 42

Another week and two more dishes down. I made a spicy Kung Pao Stir Fry and just set up a Vegas Buffet based on the Cafe World graphic.

I had my husband home all week and he's been taking kids to school etc, but that also left him time to go wandering around town and he always comes home with stuff I don't need. I was going to make Chicken Gyros and fries this week, but he came came home with steak, chicken flings and shrimp. UGH!!! I shouldn't complain, his galavanting has allowed me some time to stay home and sew..my number one passion right now.



KUNG PAO STIR FRY

A Kung Pao stir fry is a Sichuan dish usually made with chicken, although other meats can also be used. It is different from others because it contains some heat in the form of chilies and Sichuan peppercorns and also has peanuts in it.

I made up my own version using the ingredients I had at home. I should've added Sichuan peppercorns, but didn't have any and opted for chili and a Chinese garlic chili sauce. I couldn't find Chinese chili peppers at my store so I just used a jalapeno, so not very authentic, but very tasty nonetheless. I changed the traditional order of cooking so that I could keep the pan free of hot flavours for the kids. I then scooped out their servings of meat and vegetables and then spiced up for the adults. The Cafe World version was made with beef, so that's why it isn't a chicken stir fry.

Kung Pao Stir Fry recipe:

2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb sliced beef steak
3 tbs vegetable oil
1 heaped tbsp Asian chili-garlic sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp cornstarch
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
1 small zucchini, cut into 3/4 inch dice
1 red pepper, cut into 3/4 inch dice
1/2 cup cilantro leaves

Combine garlic with meat and 1 tbsp oil. Make sure meat is well coated and marinate for 30 minutes.

I prepared all the ingredients before starting to cook, so that it was easier to stir fry.

Sauce: Whisk together chili sauce, soy sauce, sherry, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and cornstarch.
In another bowl combine peanuts and jalapeno.
In another bowl combine vegetables.

Add meat to hot pan or wok and stir fry until slightly browned. Remove and set aside.
Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil to pan and stir fry vegetables until tender. Remove and set aside.
Add 1 tsp vegetable oil to pan and flash fry peanuts and jalapeno. Return meat and vegetables to pan and add sauce. Stir fry till heated through and serve with cilantro on a bed of rice.


VEGAS BUFFET

If you look at the game graphic above, you can see that this person loaded their plate with Steak, Lobster, probably chicken wings, maybe potato and jello and they have their winnings on hand too.

Since my husband came home with steak, shrimp and chicken flings...I could be a very good substitute. So my version has garlic butter sauteed shrimp instead of lobster and Buffalo chicken flings (basically just chicken nuggets) instead of wings and I served it with potato salad and a store bought jello treat my son begged to have. There wasn't enough time to make my own jello at home. I figured the bag of loonie chocolate would stand in for the Vegas winnings, although I suppose you wouldn't find many loonies in Vegas.
For my non-Canadian readers: a loonie is our 1 dollar coin. It is called a loonie because it has a loon (a bird found in Canada ) on one side. Our Two dollar coin is called a Toonie (Two-nie). Yes I also found this incredibly strange when I arrived, but it is fun to confuse visitors!!



Progress: 77/86 (9 more if no others get added or unlocked)

Next Up: I'm going to make my version of a chicken gyro.

Disclaimer: Image owned by Zynga. This site is not owned by Zynga. This site is not the owner of the intellectual property

No comments:

Post a Comment