Friday, January 8, 2010

SWAP Plan Update

I ordered fabrics and patterns from Vogue Fabrics last night and can now show a more complete plan.

A look back at the original plan shows that a few fabrics, embellishments and fabrics were still to be decided.

Those holes have been filled as follows:

Bottoms

Purchased rayon crepe from Vogue Fabrics

Purchased purple satin for the shorter Burda skirt.


Tops

The LH tank in the crepe shown above.
The New Look blouse will be made up in a red silk I found in my South African stash.


Dresses

I picked up a pattern I had in SA for the shirt dress and bought these beautiful shell buttons there. Hopefully they're destinctive enough for the rules. My local fabric store is having a Buy 1 Get 2 (metres) Free Sale, so I'll visit them for a fabric.


The knit dress will be made from either the purple or black cotton knit pictured above. These were kindly offered up from my mom's stash.

The embellishment option MIGHT get accomplished by using an embroidered fabric panel I bought in South Africa. It was embroidered by a lady in Swaziland as part of a social business venture to support the local rural women. It measures 11" square, with the embroidery measuring about 7" square. It depicts a flowering aloe.

I want to incorporate this into a dress, but am not sure how yet. Any ideas??? If this option doesn't work out, I'll bead the neckline of the red blouse.

General thoughts

I'm really liking the plan, although it seems that I'm not using any orange as I originally planned. The only hint of orange is in the knitted top. I considered using orange in the skirt, but couldn't see an orange looking good with the red silk top. I opted instead for the purple satin, I wanted a pretty colour and a luxe fabric. I looked at brocades, home dec fabrics and novelty fabrics, but decided I needed a solid colour to work with the knitted top as it already has a bunch of colours and didn't want a too crazy look. If I opt to embellish my blouse, I will need another dress so maybe a orange or a print with orange.

As for progress, I'm still busy with the floral dress and am furiously knitting my top....I'm even knitting while I wait for websites to load. Multitasker, YES I AM!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment