Thursday, September 24, 2009

Glazed Strawberry Tart

This recipe is my TNT (tried 'n tested) summer tart/dessert. This is the 3rd time I've made it this summer. The recipe is in my scrapbook and it's a recipe card from the Easy to Bake series.

The tart shell can be made ahead and filled at the last moment or frozen for up to 2 months.

I'm not the best at making things neat and beautiful looking, so I like the rustic look on this one. I was playing around and made a "heart" shape as I thought it looked cute with the red berries. My hubbie walked in and remarked that Valentines Day was only in February, to which I cheekily replied that I show my love all year round. He liked that and the tart.




What's in it?

The shortbread-type shell:
flour, sugar, salt, butter, egg, vanilla extract
ground almonds
grated lemon zest


The filling:
strawberries
glaze using raspberry or strawberry jam & lemon juice.


The Result

I love the tart shell, which is sweet, yet flavourful with the lemon and almonds. I once accidently broke the shell and cut it into squares and it made great cookies. Once the shell has baked and cooled, it is a quick dessert to whip up and can be served with cream or ice-cream.

And I think it would make an excellent treat on Valentine's Day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment