Friday, March 19, 2010

CW Challenge Week 2

This week, as promised, I made French Onion Soup, or as my husband called it....hot water with onions in it. It was rather disastrous.

French Onion Soup

So let me begin by saying that I love French Onion soup and have ordered it many times in restaurants, but have never made it myself. So I was rather let down by the results. I will definitely be trying this one again, so I won't cross it off the list just yet. In this instance I don't believe the fault lies with the recipe, but rather the cook. I made two "errors" that if corrected will dramatically improve the taste.

Error 1
I didn't cook the onions long enough. I suggest they should get the nice caramelization to add some flavour, but I had hungry kids so I made the boo-boo.

Error 2
I used my homemade beef stock. I love making my own stocks and then freezing them, but this particular batch of beef stock wasn't very strong flavoured. Next time I will use the store bought variety.

So here goes for the recipe, I'm sure if you follow the above hints it will turn out better than mine. If it doesn't let me know and I will find another for my next attempt.

Recipe

6 onions, sliced
2 litres/quarts beef broth
2 tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp tarragon
French bread/baguette
cheese, I used sliced Swiss

Melt butter and cook onions over high heat for 5 minutes and then turn down heat and cook onions till golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Add broth, tarragon and bay leaf.
Continue cooking over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Remove bay leaf and ladle into oven proof bowls.
Place bowls on a cookie sheet, top soup with bread, then cheese. Broil till cheese melts.

Oh and remember that those bowls will be HOT!!! Don't make my mistake.




Giant Dino Egg

My youngest and I went on some prehistoric travels and used some nifty team work to steal a very well guarded dino egg.
Result..yummy breakfast for a hungry little time traveller.








Progress: 3.5/54

Next up: In the mood for some Bacon & eggs?

* Disclaimer: Image owned by Zynga. This site is not owned by Zynga. This site is not the owner of the intellectual property.

2 comments:

  1. Though I've never cooked it myself, but for the French Onion Soup I would suggest a smaller bowl so that the cheese will bubble over the sides, and I have heard that Gruyere is one of the best cheeses, and melts very well, but I for one love Havarti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha I love your giant dino egg!

    ReplyDelete