Friday, July 9, 2010

Cafe World Challenge Week 18

I've been trying to eat a little better this week, so lots of steamed veggies and small pieces of meat or fish. So I figured I should choose a vegetarian Cafe World dish this week and I had some fun creating it.




Overstuffed Peppers

I've made stuffed peppers a number of times before. I've used couscous, rice and millet with various other yummy additions. The Cafe World version uses couscous, so couscous it'll be.

I was raiding my fridge and cupboards while I cooked, using up some of the stuff I had on hand. I planned to use up some fresh thyme in the fridge, but changed my mind and used parsley from my garden. The reason: It started raining while I was cooking, which under normal circumstances wouldn't be remarkable, but we've had a heat wave this last week, it's been hot and humid and I've usually been bathed in sweat in my kitchen, so I grabbed my scissors and ran outside in the rain to pick some parsley and cool down. People in my neighbourhood sit in their open garages on lawn chairs in the late afternoon/evening and I was witnessed by many and got a few laughs. I suppose I'll now be known as the crazy rain dancer or something.

So enough chit chat, on to my recipe. I noted the quantities I used, but my recipe is only enough to stuff about 3 peppers, so increase the amounts if needed. The couscous also makes a wonderful side dish on its own.


Recipe


2 tsp vegetable oil
1 small carrot diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch each last and dried thyme
1 1/2 cups (2 handfuls) chopped mushroom
1/2 cup couscous
1 cup sodium reduced chicken stock
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3 medium sized peppers of any colour

Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook carrot, onion, garlic, salt, thyme and mushrooms. Cook until carrot is softened. About 5 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add couscous, remove from heat and cover until the liquid has been absorbed by the couscous.
Stir in the pine nuts and parsley.
Cut tops off peppers, and place in a baking dish. Stuff peppers with the couscous mixture and replace pepper tops. Bake uncovered until the peppers start to brown, about 25 minutes.



Cafe World Cookbook changes

The Raspberry Cheesecake has been removed, a pity, and there are now Super Sliders (mini burgers) and BBQ Chicken. It seems the Super Sliders are only temporary though.

Progress: 36/71

Next Up: I'm thinking Corned Beef, but I'll have to figure out how to make it first.

Disclaimer: Image owned by Zynga. This site is not owned by Zynga. This site is not the owner of the intellectual property

2 comments:

  1. so are you doing all the temporary ones also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the Super Sliders, because I like sliders, the not so great ones I just ignore till they're gone. Although some of the "limited time" ones are sticking around a while.

    ReplyDelete