Friday, September 10, 2010

Cafe World Challenge Week 27

I made some shrimp cocktail this week with the flavours of an old favourite from South Africa.

When my husband & I were dating, his idea of romance was serving me shrimp cocktail and then strawberries for dessert. I had told him how much I liked shrimp or prawns, as I'd have called them then. But my idea of prawns was grilled in lemon butter with the shells intact and served on a bed of rice. I was not really expecting ice cold prawns with a horseradish cocktail sauce. But of course I ate as many as was polite. I still never touch the shrimp at a function, it just doesn't appeal to me. Back in South Africa, we called the bigger sea bugs prawns and the little mini things are shrimp. Therefore shrimp cocktail is little mini shrimp mixed with our version of cocktail sauce and served in a cocktail glass on a bed of lettuce. But my favourite version of this idea is what is called Avocado Ritz, which is a halved avocado with the shrimp cocktail filling and topping it. It is totally delicious.

So I thought if I had to eat cold shrimp (prawns), I'll make the version of cocktail sauce I preferred. My husband of course was very skeptical, but ended up really liking it.



Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

The cocktail sauce I made is a version of the type you'd find in South Africa or I suppose also Britain and other parts of the world, as much of the food back home is of British influence. In its basic form, it is mayonnaise with ketchup (tomato sauce in SA). I wanted mine to be a little tangy so this is my version:

Cocktail Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Salad Cream English Dressing (Heinz sells a version in North America)
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp lemon juice
a dash of hot sauce

Mix all the ingredients to form a smooth pink sauce.

Serve with shrimp on a bed of lettuce and sprinkle with paprika. The sauce is also good as a creamy salad dressing on that bed of lettuce when the shrimp is done.



Cafe World Cookbook Additions

I unlocked the Rack of Lamb in the game and they also added Tempura Udon.

Up Next: I have some rack of lamb in the fridge

Progress: 51/80

Disclaimer: Image owned by Zynga. This site is not owned by Zynga. This site is not the owner of the intellectual property

No comments:

Post a Comment