Friday, September 24, 2010

Cafe World Challenge Week 29

Week 2 of working again and things have been hectic, but I did make a dish, as promised. I chose to do breakfast for dinner this week, which is always a hit here as my kids seem to always love eggs and bacon. Since I've already crossed Bacon and Eggs off the list, I made Eggs Benedict.



Eggs Benedict


I love eating Eggs Benedict and all its variations at restaurants for breakfast, although I find a good Hollandaise sauce is not easy to find. I love my recipe for Hollandaise sauce, but have only made Eggs Benedict once before with smoked salmon. I usually love eating my Hollandaise sauce with asparagus, so I served my dinner Eggs Benedict with asparagus so I could dip the spears into the leftover sauce, delicious and decadent. I've only ever made my sauce over indirect heat, you can use a double boiler, but since I don't have one, I use a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.

Hollandaise sauce recipe

4 egg yolks
3 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 pinch ground white pepper
1/8 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp water
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt

Bring water to a gentle simmer in a pan, making sure that the water doesn't touch the heatproof dish or double boiler top pan. In the top dish whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice, white pepper, Worcherstershire sauce and 1 tbsp water. Continue whisking, add melted butter a few tablespoons at a time. Continue whisking until until all the butter is incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Whisk in salt and remove from heat. Put a lid over the dish to keep the sauce warm.


Eggs Benedict recipe

Hollandaise Sauce
eggs, 1 or 2 per person
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Canadian bacon/back bacon or I used peameal bacon, 2 slices per egg
English muffins, split, 1 half per egg


Fill a large saucepan with water (3 inches) and bring water to a simmer. Add vinegar. Gently break eggs into simmering water and allow to cook for about 3 minutes. Toast muffin halves and brown the bacon in a skillet. Place 2 slices of bacon on a muffin half and when ready top with a poached egg. Top with Hollandaise sauce.

There are many variations on the standard recipe:
-Eggs Florentine with spinach instead of bacon
-smoked salmon instead of bacon
-mushrooms and brie
-asparagus and swiss cheese
etc, etc the possibilities are endless and fun to try. I always love to discover a new combo at a restaurant and order.



Next Up: Cooking and Cafe World Challenge not sure, but I'm going to the American Sewing Expo this weekend, woohooo!!! So I'll fit in a post about what I see, do and (in a whisper) BUY!!

Progress: 54/80

Disclaimer: Image owned by Zynga. This site is not owned by Zynga. This site is not the owner of the intellectual property

No comments:

Post a Comment