Friday, May 7, 2010

Cafe World Challenge Week 9

It has been nine weeks already and I'm about a third the way through the Cafe World Cookbook. I've realised that some weeks are really slow, like this one, with only one dish completed and other weeks I'm able to do more cooking. I try to do at least one of the dishes early in the week, usually on a Sunday, so that I can show some progress by Friday. This week has been particularly difficult as I've simply not been eating at home.

My husband is the Commanding Officer of the Naval unit in the city and this week was the 100th anniversary of our Canadian Navy, so we have been VERY busy. We usually attend about 2 formal dinners a month and have a few other events scattered in between. But this last week has been CRAZY. We've attended three formal dinners this week and have another next week and we've also had the naval parades during the day. Not that I'm complaining, it sure is fun getting dressed up and having delicious dinners served to you and meeting very interesting people, but this girl really needs a little downtime and little boys don't let mamma sleep in. So here's to hoping that Mamma gets some rest on Mothers Day and I can get back to making more of the Cafe World Meals.

Although I had a hectic week I did manage to make one Indian inspired dish.



Tikka Masala Kabobs

By far my favourite cuisine is Indian and I make Indian food quite often. I don't think this dish is very authentic, but it has the flavours I love.

Recipe

2 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
1 each red and green peppers cut into 1 inch squares
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp chili powder
6 skewers


If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for a few hours to prevent them getting too charred.
Mix all ingredients, except the chicken and peppers, together and pour over chicken in a shallow dish. Coat chicken and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
Thread chicken and peppers alternatively onto skewers.
Grill for about 10 minutes or until chicken is done.




New Cafe World dishes

Stuffed Mushrooms have been added. I haven't made the game dish yet, so I'm not sure what the CW version is stuffed with, but these are always yummy.

Progress: 22/61

Next up: I'll attempt King Crab Bisque, might be a little less Kingly (is that a word?) and a little more homestyle. I've also been looking for a Basic Sushi making class, as I'd rather not buy all the ingredients for the Sushi Spread myself. It would be easier and more fun for me to prepare this in a class setting. The earliest class I've found is only in July, but I'll keep looking.

* Disclaimer: Image owned by Zynga. This site is not owned by Zynga. This site is not the owner of the intellectual property.

No comments:

Post a Comment